Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Team bonding over long walks

Dear Readers,

Great to see you again!! Thanks for your overwhelming support and encouragement.

Today, I will be discussing on how I made some great friends at my work place. I work in the IT sector. As such we work under tight deadlines and constant stress. There is very little time to get to know the people we are working with.

I am an avid walker. I like to walk for about half an hour everyday after lunch. Since, my company did not have a very big campus I used to walk for about two kilometers around the office area every day after lunch.

One of my colleague joined me in my daily routine. We would talk about lots of stuff during our walks. We used to discuss politics, sports, religion, tv shows, movies, music and any other topic barring work. This was our time to relax and get to know each other. One by one my other team mates also started joining in our walks. Slowly, we had a group of about eight people.

We all came to know lots of things about each other. We came to know that one of us was a very good guitarist. One of the guys was a bike lover. One of the guys was an avid book reader. One of us was a great chess player and so on. We used to share each other's life stories, joys and sorrows.

As a result of our walks, we became very close to each other and there was a tremendous bonding in our group. This bonding also started helping us in our work. As we could approach anyone in our group for help without hesitation. Also, it helped to create a light and lively workplace atmosphere. We started smiling and feeling happy. Our stress was relieved and everyday we would look forward to our walks.

In my opinion, it is very important to have a social and friendly workplace where everyone can be approached freely. Hierarchical workplaces generally do not thrive very well. We are social beings and as such establishing good relations with our colleagues is very important to our as well as the company's success.

Hope you all liked this article. If so, kindly leave out your comments or suggestions.

See all soon again,

With Love,
Gunjan.

No comments: