Saturday, September 24, 2016

How I overcame 3 of my biggest fears in Life

Dear Reader,

It's good to see you again !!! Hope you had a great day.

Let's discuss about our fears and how to face them. I'll tell you what I was afraid of and how I overcame these fears.

Fear 1 - Dogs

As a kid, I was once playing with my friend who had a couple of big dogs. The dogs were usually tied to a chain. But, somehow that day they broke loose and came to the place in the house where we were playing. Suddenly, and without warning the dogs jumped on me and started tearing my clothes and scratching me with their paws. I was very afraid and somehow my friend's elder sister managed to pull the dogs away. Form that day onward, I was very afraid of dogs. My fear continued till I was a teenager.

There are lot of stray dogs near my place. One day while I was returning home late at night, I was surrounded by 6-7 dogs and they started snarling at me. I became quite nervous. But, I decided that day that I would not given into to my fear. So, I stood my ground and started talking and pacifying the dogs. After a while, the dogs left quietly.

One more day when I was driving my bike I was chased by few dogs. So, I just stopped my bike and stood there for a while. Again, the dogs just left.

With time, my fear of dogs has reduced considerably.

Fear 2 - Heights
I once fractured my hand as a kid after falling from a height. I have also got few stitches on my head after falling from a height while dusting a window. After these incidents, I developed Vertigo or the fear of heights. My head starts swirling when I am at a height.
During my college days, we went out to a Amusement Park called Wonderla in Bangalore. There were lot of scary and thrilling rides. But, there was one particular ride where people are rotated 360 degrees and tossed down from great rides. I decided that this ride would be a good opportunity to see if I was capable of overcoming my fear. I took the ride first time. As the ride went up, my throat became dry and I shut my eyes tightly. As the ride swung me at full speed my heartbeat stopped completely and I thought I had committed a very big mistake. After a while, the ride twisted my seat and hung me in air for a good 5 seconds while I was upside down from a height of about 50 feet. I thought I would die of heart failure. But, after about two minutes the ride was over and I was miraculously still alive :-) I decide to take the ride again. Believe it or not, I took the ride a total of four times back to back. Next, I went to giant wheel which was operating on the 13th floor of the building.
After some years I did para sailing in Goa. And, today I participated in a high rope adventure. Now, I am no longer afraid of heights.

Fear 3 - Maths
I never understood numbers clearly. I did not even know how to write numbers till I was five or six years old. I always used to take my mom's help to solve Maths in Primary school. Sometimes, I used to mug up the solutions. I got a big reality check when I was in my 10th class of my High School. I was a good student with the exception of Maths. During my mid terms, I got only forty eight marks out of one hundred. I was very upset. I discussed the matter with my mom and she said if I wanted admission in any good college I should focus on my subject and technique is solving problems. So, that day I decided I would learn maths and not mug it up. I started solving old question papers. I used to solve one or two papers every day. I used to actually put a timer clock for three hours duration and pretend that I was actually writing a real exam. Gradually, my speed improved and I solved almost all the previous years papers. I used to work extra hard by staying up all night if needed so I could also get time to study my other subjects as well. In the final exam, I started solving the problems quite easily. When the results were announced, I had scored ninety seven out of one hundred marks in Maths.

Conclusion
Never be afraid to face your fears. The first step is to recognize them. And, the second step is to develop a strategy to resolve them. You may feel at first that it is very difficult or even impossible to do this. How could this guy know what I feel ? But trust me dear friend that the fear is always in your mind. Once you train the brain to feel otherwise, you feel the difference.
As the Batman, who faces the fear of Bats and overcomes it. It is now your turn. Go ahead and prove to yourselves that you can do anything without fear.

With Love,
Gunjan.



No comments: