Monday, October 3, 2016

A Coffee in the US vs A Coffee in India

Dear Readers,

Welcome back!!! It is so good to have you back again.

Today, I want to discuss about a simple concept. How we order coffee in India and how we order for the same in the US.

In India, we have small eateries and tea stalls in every corner of most cities, towns and villages. Most Indians are simple people. When they go to the tea stall they just ask for a tea or a coffee and the tea stall guy just pours it in a paper cup, clay pot (Kullad) or a glass cup and hands it over to them. We generally do not have too many customization. The only option that we get is whether there will be sugar in it or not. Sometimes, we do not even get this option :-)

I am a simple Indian myself. I do not generally go to expensive coffee shops where they offer so many options. In a regular tea stall in India we could get a cup of tea or coffee for just ten rupees (1 dollar is roughly equal to 66 rupees). In an expensive coffee bar the cost is anywhere between 80 rupees to 200 rupees. Even though the cost is less but we get the filtered south Indian coffee or the Darjeeling or the Assam tea which are some of the finest varieties in the world. As such most of the Indians do not care too much for the variety and you could see a large number of people around the tea stall at any time of the day or evening.

When, I reached Atlanta in US, I went to a Star Bucks for the first time. There were no Star Bucks in Bangalore at that time. I had only been to Coffee Day shop in Bangalore a few times. So, I found it similar. I saw a crowd of well dressed office people and a few Stylishly dressed teenagers lined for their orders. When my turn came, the server asked my order. I was not quite sure what to say. I just took a quick glance at the menu on the wall and repeated the name of the coffee at the very top. It was some name like a Frappuccino. Next, he asked me in what size I needed it. So, I said regular. I learnt later that there are three standard sizes - small, regular and tall. Next, he asked me whether I needed it cold or hot. I answered hot. Next, he asked how much cream. I did not know properly. So, I just quickly said one. Next, he asked how much sugar. And, I answered one. I was just beginning to think that the guy might be asking some more questions. Luckily, he asked me for the payment which I was only too glad to make. That day I realized how complicated it could be to buy a coffee.

I suddenly remembered a scene from a very popular Hindi movie English Vinglish where the lead actress Sridevi goes to a coffee shop in Newyork and later runs away scared and with tears in her eyes. Because, the coffee server embarrasses her since she is unable to answer all these questions quickly. Luckily, I was little confident and was accompanied by a few friends who helped me.

The point here is that Indians are simple people. They accept things the way they are. They are used to adjust easily. But, our friends in the US like to customize their orders to their own tastes. It is just a mix of different cultures. Both, of us take time to learn each other's culture and life styles. We should not judge each other harshly just because we may not understand each other. It takes time to build relationships and especially those that last for a long time.

I had read somewhere that a friend is not someone with whom you do not have differences. But, a true friend is someone who has an undersanding and tolerance of these differences. After spending a few months in the US, I became a regular customer at Star Bucks. I used to make my order of a regular Chai Latte, two cream and two sugar in a single breath :-)


I hope you liked this article. See you very soon again.

With Love,
Gunjan.

No comments: