Saturday, October 22, 2016

Campus Placement

Dear Readers,

Welcome back!!! It is great to see you again. I thank you for your continued support and encouragement.

Today, I want to discuss about my campus placement in my engineering college. I studied Computer Science engineering from VTU University in Bangalore. My college used to prepare us for campus recruitment during our sixth semester holidays. Since, most of the companies started visiting the campus from seventh semester holidays. We prepared for technical questions as well as in soft skills. After about a month's training, the companies started arriving to our college.

The first company which arrived was Infosys.  Infosys is one of the biggest Indian IT companies. It is a great company to join as a fresher. Since, the freshers are trained in a world class training center in Mysore. It paves a good platform to start one's career. The company arrived with several technical people and Human Resource professionals. The HRs explained about the company background and policies. After that there was the aptitude test and English verbal and non-verbal test.

I am good at aptitude questions. But, I used to take more time to solve questions in those days. However, I was relatively better at English. So, I solved a majority of the questions in the stipulated time. But, the competition is always tough. Since, it was a pool campus. In a poolcampus companies from several colleges participate in the campus placement. For this test, about six colleges had participated in theplacement. There were about five hundred students attending the test. And, each of the student was highly talented. So, the chances of selection were less.

After about an hour after the test, the company people started announcing the names of the selected candidates. The first name called was that of the topper girl from my department. Next, person was some other topper from another department. Slowly, about fifteen people in my class got selected for the next round. Unfortunately, I was not one of them.

I was very disappointed and heart broken. Since, I had worked very hard for the interviews. But, I was determined to perform better in my next interviews. The only disappointing thing was that next day my teacher asked in front of the whole class why I had not gotten selected ? I felt very embarrassed and did not know what to say. Also, the campus selection officer started showing too much attitude to students who had not gotten selected in the last placement.

Although, I felt sad that I was not selected in the previous company. I continued working harder for my next interview. My next interview was in a company called Perot. Later, this company was taken over by Dell. This company had shortlisted candidates who had secured 60% or more aggregate and who had never failed in any exam during the complete course. So, the shortlisted candidates were all very good and competition was again very tough. Even this time there was a pool campus but it was in some other college. After the regular exercise of explaining company policies the exam started. This exam was difficult as it had very complex technical questions and aptitude questions. After a few hours when the exam results were announced there was again disappointment in store for me. But, this time I did not feel as bad as last time. I was happy with my preparation and knew that if I continued working harder then definitely I would achieve success.

My next interview was in the same college. It was in a company called iGate. This is a US MNC which has recently been over taken by Capgemini. This company had raised the bar even higher. They demanded candidates with more than seventy percent aggregate. Also, the interview was difficult. In the first round we had to answer about fifteen questions. Also, no multi choice answer options were provided.

As the interview started I took a quick glance at the questions. I knew how to solve most of them. So, I quickly finished the test well within the stipulated time. After the exam, I was feeling relaxed. This time I did not feel any anxiety or stress.

When the results were announced, my name was called in the fourth place. I felt relieved. But, there was a long way to go still. There was still a technical round and a HR round remaining. One by one, the candidates were being called inside a room for technical interview. I was eager to attend this round and was feeling more excited than nervous. Somehow, I was not caring about the outcome but just was enjoying the interview. When my name was called I went with a quick pace and politely asked the interviewer if I could get in. After the informal courtsies were extended the interviewer started asking the questions. He asked me many complex C, C++, Operating Systems, Data Structures and questions from OOPS. He also asked me to code some programs. The interview lasted for about thirty minutes. It was quite intense.

As I stepped out of the room, there were few candidates having tea. They were accompanied by the HR. I greeted him and had tea. We had a casual conversation in which he asked about my college, hobbies etc. We also discussed about sports and movies.

The results came out after another one hour and out of three hundred people who had attended the interview only forty students were offered jobs. I was one among those few lucky students.

When I look back at this chapter of life I feel very nice. Although, a lot of hiccups and obstacles came in my life I always believed in myself. I continued working harder to achieve my goal and did not let negative people influence me. Finally, I tasted success. Perhaps, we should all believe in our abilities and not lose focus when we meet failures. We should pick ourselves in the face of adversity and remain focused on our goals. Like someone has said "God helps them those who help themselves".

I hope you liked this article. Please drop in your valuable feedback.

See you very soon again,

With Love,
Gunjan.

No comments: